Monday 14 July 2014

The Day the Crayons Quit Art Lesson

For our last lesson of the term (Tues and Thurs only) we based the lesson on the best selling book "The Day the Crayons Quit" written by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers (our artist of the week).

 

This book is great - my kids love it, I love it and obviously lots of other people love it as its been #1 on the New York Times Best Sellers List (Children's picture books) for 53 weeks! 

Its a pretty simple lesson - this is a great one to have on hand if you ever need a lesson with little prep and don't have a lot of time.  It would also be great to tie in with a literacy lesson as the children could write their own letters back to the crayons (or something along those lines).  I never seem to let myself off with an easy lesson so I combined this with making our own sketchbooks (earlier post) and the stormy / rain watercolour pictures (previous post).

What you need:
  • Packs of crayons (I gave each child their own pack and they got to take these home with them)
  • White paper
  • The Day the Crayons Quit book
How to:
  • Read the book
  • Ask the children to draw a picture (or two) inspired by the book (eg things in unusual colours, using black in other ways than to outline).
The Results:
Here are my three of children's pictures (I didn't take photos of the rest).





Cheers
Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment