Tuesday 19 August 2014

Ted Harrison Chalk Pastel Landscapes



I just love drawing with chalk pastels, especially with a glue outline.  This always takes a bit of planning though as the glue needs time to dry so this lesson always takes at least two weeks.

This lesson is from Chumly Scobey Art Room - thank you very much, I loved it!.   I did this with children aged 5 to 10 and all managed with the glue outline and colouring with pastels.  The lovely thing about these landscapes is that the curvy lines are fairly easy to do with glue and it's easy to make mistakes look like they were part of the picture!


Ted Harrison is a Canadian painter whose paintings are characterised by bright saturated tones, undulating lines and sweeping skies.  I printed out examples of Ted Harrison's work and asked the children to draw a picture inspired by his style (lots of curvy lines, bright colours, mountains or the sea in the foreground, big skies, whales & dolphins or trees & small villages). 


What you need:
  • Black A3 paper
  • Chalk Pastels
  • Glue (I used Elmer's school glue)
  • Hairspray
  • Cotton tips 
How to:
  • Week one - Draw the picture in pencil then go over the pencil lines with glue.  Leave to dry (flat or the glue will run)
  • Week two - Colour in with pastels
The Results:

Lovely and colourful.  I always clean up the glue lines with a cotton tip dipped in water and spray with hairspray before giving the children their work back.  I also wrap it in a piece of newspaper.  This is quite time consuming yet I think it gives the best results if I do the cleaning up.  I have asked the children to do it before and the water has gone everywhere.  If you were doing this exercise with Grade 4 and up they could do the clean up themselves.









Cheers
Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment