Friday 9 September 2016

Olympic Games Lesson - Part 1: Rio Carnival Masks



I just love the Olympic Games - they are so exciting to watch and its so wonderful seeing so many countries competing together.

When the Olympics are on I like to do two lessons, one based on the country they are held in and one on the athletes.



The first lesson was about Rio, Brazil where the Olympics were held this time around.  I got all of my classes (including the preschoolers) to decorate Carnival Masks.  I must admit I have a little bit of an obsession with masks at the moment after a recent trip to Venice....

What you need:
  • Masks (I got mine from Kmart)
  • Paint
  • Glitter
  • Ribbon
  • Sequins, Pom, Poms, small beads, feathers etc
  • Paint

How to:
  • I got all the children to paint the mask first with tempera paint pucks (I find these dry fast and soak into the mask)
  • I made up some coloured glues to correspond with my coloured glitters and they added the glue where they wanted the glitter.
  • They then came up to the glitter station (me with a big tin tray and glitter) and I added the glitter corresponding to their glue colours)
  • They then added anything else with glue
  • Final step was to tie a ribbon on each side so they could put on their mask

The Results:

What a carnival of colour!  This is just a few - all my students did these so there was 92 of them!

















Cheers
Fiona

1 comment: