Part two of our Olympic Lesson concentrated on what the Olympics is all about - the athletes. I had children in Prep - Grade 5 doing this lesson.
I did a very similar lesson to this 2 years ago when the Winter Olympics were on and the children so LOVED it....So I thought it would be easy to replicate for the Summer Olympics.
I just love how this lesson really brings out the children's creativity. I put out lots of loose parts for them to choose from to create the accessories and then left them too it!
What you need:
- Tin foil
- Glue gun, normal glue and sticky tape
- Loose Parts
- Coloured paper or paint
- Demonstrate how to make a foil figure (click here for my previous post on how to do this)
- Ask the children to decide which athelete it is and put it in a pose
- Use the loose parts to add things like weights (weighlifter), beam (gymnast), sword (fencing), basketball & hoop (basketball), oars (canoing) etc etc.
- They could also use the cardboard to add a floor (eg gym mat, running track, basketball court etc)
- I asked them to try and stick together using glue and sticky tape yet I was also ready with a hot glue gun to stick down any bits that wouldn't stay with those methods.
Here are a few I captured - these children are so creative!