Wednesday 12 April 2017

String Art

Every time I go to IKEA I look at the cork trivets and think "how can I use them in my art lessons?"  I've been wanting to do string art with the children for ages yet getting enough hammers and wood was going to quite a task.  Finally I spotted someone using the cork trivets to make a geoboard on Instagram and thought I could take this to the next level and use it for string art.  I also have the Klutz String Art book which we used for some of the designs.

I love how these turned out.  I have children aged 5 to 12 in my classes yet I was able to complicate or simplify the process to suit.

What you need:
  • IKEA cork trivets (white spray paint optional)
  • Embroidery thread 
  • Map pins (I got big ones and little ones)
  • Scissors
  • Tracing paper for designs
How to:
  • Get the children to draw or trace their design onto tracing paper
  • Place tracing paper on cork trivet
  • Place pins over outline of design
  • Rip off paper (carefully on an angle)
  • Tie first thread to a pin, wrap around pins going back and forth, continue until design is completed.  Change threads when you need a colour change.  
TIPS: I found a blob of hot glue was easier than knotting the ends.  For younger children they skipped the design stage and just pushed pins into the cork trivet without the tracing paper.  Then they randomly wound the thread around the pins.  Some children added extra design with permanent markers.  I sprayed some cork trivets white with spray paint, I like this look yet some children preferred the natural look.

The Results:

Stunning! Great work kids!!!

 

   

Cheers
Fiona 

No comments:

Post a Comment